Sunday, June 5, 2011

More About Michael

On June 4, Michael ran the Provo Canyon Marathon in 3 hours 57 minutes! He was relieved and delighted not only to finish his first marathon, but to run it in less than 4 hours.





It was a beautiful day--bright and sunny, but cool. The race began in a tiny rural town ten miles above Deer Creek Reservoir. Michael described the marathon as one of the most beautiful runs he'd ever taken. There were only 35 runners. The good news--Michael came in fourth! From the finish line, there were stunning views of Mt. Timpanogas.








Michael relaxed in the shade at the end of the race, eating apples and red licorice and trying to get his sore legs to work again.


Usually Michael has plans for the weekend, such as his trip to St. George with friends last week. It was an unusual treat to have Michael join Dave and me for the afternoon and evenng, as he napped and hobbled around painfully, recovering from the marathon. We stopped first at the my law firm's summer party at Washington Terrace, eating spareribs with young people Michael knew who happen to work at DJP or date people who work there. We drove on to the cabin for the night. It was spring in the mountains, with bright yellow daffodils that Grandpa Spendlove planted before he died in 2009.











We finished Saturday with dinner at Gateway Grille in Kanas. It was casual enough for men to wear cowboy hats in their booths, yet sophisticated enough to include chopped fresh herbs arranged artfully around our plates of chicken alfredo and Cajun shrimp and rice.





On Sunday morning, we drove down the canyon, noting how strong the current was in the Weber River...


and how picturesque the old barns were, against the green grass and yellow dandelions.


After Church and Sunday dinner, Dave and Michael relaxed in the basement watching a basketball game with their 3D glasses.


5 comments:

Mike Spendlove said...

Nice post, mom. I appreciate you choosing the least-unflattering pictures of me to post on the blog.

David Spendlove said...

Gretta,

Nice job!!! Hopefully this is just the beginning of lots of Marathons for Michael. I think you ate in Kamus on Sat. night and not Kanab.
David

Emilie said...

Awesome Mike! Great time. I can't imagine a marathon with only 35 runners! I am always about the beauty of the run. Maybe someday I can run this one.

Camille said...

That was from me, not Emilie, although I think that she would congratulate you as well!

Jonny said...

Congratulations Mike! That has to be the best marathon finish anybody in the family has had - just out of the medals. Like Emilie, I am all about the beauty of the run.