Saturday, October 5, 2013

Finally, leaves...

Utah had a hot summer with little water.  This fall, the colored leaves have been drab and late.
Dave and I drove to the cabin Friday night, October 4, 2013, to hole up with the ironing and TV for LDS Conference weekend.  It was too dark to see anything but stars when we arrived.  When we awoke Saturday morning, the aspens were vibrantly golden, against the white snow, dark green pines, and blue sky.  I walked around Pine Mountain, amazed at the beauty.   
 
 
 
 
 
I usually take the same walk around Pine Mountain, but I always see new things, through my eyes and through my camera.  When I looked at these photos on the computer, I was amazed at how blue they were.  With the snow and cold, came a blue cast to the whole mountain world.  I was also charmed by these cattle, trucked in to the Pine Mountain meadow with a supply of hay for the winter.  I noted how much I like photographing roads and fences.  I like the clear definition of a fence and the mystery of a road winding away into the trees.
 
 
As I made the last uphill climb from the East Pine Mountain gate to Targhee Drive, where our cabin is located, I spotted these glowing aspen against the pines--essence of fall.
 
Dave and I watched both sessions of Conference at the cabin, as well as Conference specials about Mormon film makers and about President Monson's 50 years of Church service.  I finished the ironing and Dave particularly enjoyed the talk of Jeffrey R. Holland, which recognized the burdens and value of people with mental problems.  As a psychologist and father, that message touched him deeply. 
 
 
 
While we were at the cabin, we also watched the video, "Ephraim's Rescue." It was the story of Ephraim Hanks, the Mormon scout who found the Martin handcart company in the snows of Wyoming.  We are thankful that a Mormon film industry is developing, however slowly, to tell stories from and about our culture.
 
 
 

After the Saturday sessions of Conference, Dave decided he'd like to return to SLC, so he could fit in a Sunday morning run with his buddies.  On our way home, we stopped at Tarahumara Restaurant, in Midway, which serves innovative Mexican specialties.  I was tempted by the avocado enchiladas and shark tacos, but settled for shrimp with orange and cilantro, served with Mexican rice, green beans, and fresh flour tortillas.  We loved the salsa bar, with 20 varieties to choose from, and the powdered sugar-covered Mexican wedding cakes, just like my mother used to make.

 
 
 
We also stopped at the new Heber Valley Milk and Artisan Cheese store.  It is operated by Utah State University and markets ice cream, sold in cups, cones, or boxes, under the "Aggie" label.  I thought of my dad, as I savored my chocolate almond ice cream.  Dad took a class in ice cream making at Utah State, to help him run the Calder creamery. He also made wonderful homemade ice cream for parties at our house, when I was a little girl.  The shop also sold specialty cheeses, which reminded me of how much Michael, Dave and I, and Camille's and Lisa's families enjoyed Heini's, a specialty cheese shop in Ohio's Pennsylvania Dutch country.  We'll certainly return to this Heber Valley store, with its web of memories!
 
 
 

1 comment:

Mike Spendlove said...

I love Tarahumara... and the cheese store looks great, I had no idea that even existed.