Friday, February 21, 2014

Rootstech and Her--Loving Your Computer

The Rootstech conference on February 8, 2014, was the largest conference I'd been to at the Salt Palace since Comecon.  Comecon was more colorful (attendees dressed up as Catwoman, Superman, and other comic heroes), but Rootstech was more inspiring.  It was sponsored by FamilySearch, the LDS Church genealogy website, and was the largest family history conference in North America.
 
I fairly ran from one presentation and exhibit to the next, trying to squeeze as many treasures into my day as I could.  The speakers touched on most of my treasured hobbies--how to take better photographs to preserve family memories, how to use photographs in making family gifts, how to use ancestry.com and familysearch.org more efficiently to find ancestors; how to make family history come alive.  I dragged home a pack of "finds," including the book "Zap the Grandma Gap" (how to share family history with grandchildren without boring them to death) and a kit from Ancestry.com to test my DNA.  The conference focused on the latest high tech wizardry, as well creative applications.

The Church ran a sold-out family history conference concurrently with the secular Rootstech gathering.  5,000 young people attended, and they had to turn 1,000 away.  Next year, my teenage grandchildren may want to come along!
Dave and I are always looking for new restaurants, particularly Indian ones.  We ate supper at Kathmandu, on 700 East.  It had great naan, curries, and our drink of choice, mango lassi.

We are trying to see all the movies nominated as "Best Picture" for this year's Academy Awards.  We were a bit taken aback by "Her," a sci-fi romance between a man and his computer, including simulated sex scenes and "dates."  Going to such things, I assured David, will keep us young.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Gretta Spendlove said...

Thank you so much for continuing to do this.

David