Saturday, March 18, 2017

Luck 'o' the Irish

My Ancestry.com DNA test identifies me as more than 30% Irish (I assume that includes the Scottish and Welsh mixed in).  We celebrated St. Patrick's Day with a corned beef and cabbage dinner on Sunday, March 12, 2017.  I felt very, very lucky to be surrounded with family and good friends, eating good Irish food and celebrating my heritage.
I never take for granted the luxury of having Mike and Heidi as neighbors and frequent visitors.  My former assistant, Katie Peterson, also joined us with her husband.  Katie is now "Dr. Davis," with a Ph.D in nursing from the U of U.  She is a nurse practitioner at a clinic in West Valley, where she specializes in the treatment of diabetes.  Katie's husband, Rhett Davis, is a former investment banker with J.P. Morgan who now manages his real estate investments, and wanted to meet Mike, a kindred spirit.  Katie is expecting baby Grace in June.  I was delighted to remember, once again, how very fond I am of Katie, and how proud I am of all she has done with her life.

Other guests were the missionaries from our stake.  They were an eclectic group--one elder from Jakarta, Indonesia, one elder from Wichita, Kansas, and the third elder an Australian who is awaiting his Indonesian visa so he can begin serving in that predominantly Muslim country.  We shared good food with the elders, but they shared something more precious--faith, goodness, and optimism.
 I decorated the table with shamrock plants, covered with three-leaf clovers.  I also bought green carnations, which reminded me of the green carnations my dad often bought me for my birthday.  He also wore green socks on St. Patrick's Day in my honor.


The entree was corned beef and cabbage, served with "champ," a Northern Ireland dish of mashed potatoes, butter, and green onions.
 Of course, we had Irish soda bread.
Dessert was a British raspberry trifle, with homemade pound cake, whipped cream, cream cheese, and lots of frozen raspberries.  I will definitely make it again!

No comments: