After spending most of August 2, 2017, visiting Hamilton castles on the outskirts of Glasgow, we had only a few hours to get a taste of Glasgow itself. Our visit was made shorter because David found driving in Glasgow so terrible. The freeways were crammed with cars and merged in and out of each other, made twice as disorienting because Dave was driving on the left side of the road, rather than the right. Even off the freeways, he had to navigate through one busy roundabout after another. Dave finally told me he'd take me to one spot and just wait there for me. I chose the beautiful University of Glasgow section of the city. The towers of the university, and one of its quaint bridges, are shown above.
I hurried off to the Kelvingrove Museum for an hour while David waited in the car, recuperating. In addition to all the other frustrations of Glasgow driving, the cities have very few parking spots, and we couldn't find any near the museum.
The museum was spectacular. Every day, at 3 p.m., there is an organ concert in the grand hall of the museum. I was there for part of it.
Kelvingrove is a combination natural history and art museum. I could have wandered for hours, looking at mastodons and tigers.
I limited myself to art. One of the most famous paintings in the museum is Dali's painting of Christ.
I was amazed to find three Raphael madonnas, since Raphael painted less than 50 paintings, total, as i recall.
There were also several Rembrandt paintings, including this "Man in the Golden Helmet." As my hour drew to a close, I took a quick look at the display of Charles MacIntosh's Art Nouveau furniture, for which Glasgow is famous, and then dashed back to the car.
Friday, August 18, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment