Monday, October 2, 2017

Shakes and Shivers

Dave and I took a drive on Saturday, September 30, to see the fall leaves.  As we headed through Kamas up into the Uintah Mountains, to Mirror Lake, we drove through fall and into winter.
 Mirror Lake was ghostly and beautiful.
Whenever I stop by Mirror Lake, I always think of my father and the picture taken at Mirror Lake in 1940 or 1941, as Dad captured a few of his friends enjoying a drink (hot? cold?) and the mountain air.  There are more mysteries in that picture than the temperature of the drink!  Who's the guy?  Who are the girls?  Is this a date?  And which one is Dad's special friend?
We paused by the trailhead to Fehr Lake, where Dave and I hiked several summers ago.  In a few weeks the area will be accessible only by snowmobile.


 Driving back out of winter, we stopped by the waterfall over the Provo River, which winds its way from its headwaters in the Uintahs, all the way to Provo City.
 This is the Utah I love!
 As we entered the lower elevations, we passed through patches of golden and red fall leaves.
 What a Utahn picture--ranch gate, mountainside covered with pines and maples.
 On our way home, we passed Hi Mountain Drug in Kamas.  On our way to Mirror Lake, we stopped in to buy an "everything shake," filled with pieces of a whole array of candy bars.  It was a day's worth of calories, but so luscious!  Jonny introduced us to Hi Mountain Drug on a recent trip home to Utah.

No comments: