When Mike and Jonny were little, I taught them to read with large cards, which they practiced every day. The family tale is that Mike could read words before he could speak them, as in hanging out his tongue, as a baby, to show that he knew what "tongue" meant. Flash forward to Jonny, now grown up and intent on teaching his own son, Henry, age two, to read. The first requirement is getting Henry's big brother, Sam, to sit next to him. Henry adores Sam and will copy anything Sam does. Sam is already a fluent reader.
Henry was not a patient learner, in late December, 2017, while I watched.
"What's that, Henry?" Jonny asked, showing him the "daddy" card. After a false start or two, Henry said, "daddy!"
"Car" is a favorite word for Henry. He not only said the word but made big "vroom, vroom" sounds.
After he read eight words, Henry got his treat. He stood on the coffee table as Jonny, Sam, and I sang, "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow." Henry then fell backward into Jonny's arms.
Lesson complete.
Thursday, February 1, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment