Monday, March 12, 2018

Three Miles a Day

So what is it like, on all those mornings from 5:30 a.m. to 7 a.m., as David Spendlove prowls the countryside?  On the morning of Sunday, January 28, 2018, I tagged along to find out.  On Sundays, Dave starts later, but it was still quiet and dark, as we walked for nearly five miles along the Jordan Parkway, starting near 1300 South and 700 West. 
The winter sun finally arose, on this chilly, steel gray morning.  We walked across bridges along the river, merely a quiet creek in this drought year.  There were no transients sleeping in the International Peace Gardens, as they do in the summer.
All the world was still asleep, except for this gaggle of ducks, perfectly camouflaged in the dry grass.  The only colors were gray, brown, and white, until we arrived at our turning-around point, a wall brilliantly painted with graffiti.  Will I go again?  Of course...when I retire.

No comments: