Friday, July 27, 2018

Alaska Cruise I: Just Sailing

 A cruise ship is a magical world.  On June 16, 2018, we sailed away to Alaska with Kyle and Lisa on the Holland America Eurodam.  We ate gourmet food, attended shipboard classes and events, traveled to exotic Alaskan venues, and just watched the sea.
 The adventure began as we drove through downtown Seattle to the pier.
 We passed other cruise ships on our way to the Eurodam, including this Norwegian Cruise Lines boat, docked near Pike Market.
 At 4 p.m. the ship sailed, sliding into Puget Sound and passing sister cruise ships on its way north to the Pacific.
 We explored the ship from bowels to top deck.  We found the track along Deck 11 for daily walks.  It was windy most mornings, so I opted for the treadmill in the gym, which had a great view across the bow of the ship.
The Crows Nest on Deck 12 was Dave's haunt of choice.  He took a book and read as the blue world floated by outside. 
 We passed small, wooded islands and lots of sea as we sailed north.
 We left behind the Cascade range of mountains.
 "You really spent your cruise taking computer classes?" my brother Scott asked in amazement.  Actually, yes.  June 17 was an "at sea" day, as we steamed from Seattle to Juneau.  Holland America has adopted a "celebrity" line of classes, including computer classes sponsored by Microsoft, cooking classes sponsored by America's Test Kitchen (the editors of my favorite cookbooks, the "Cook's Illustrated" brand), and classical music concerts sponsored by Lincoln Center.  Kyle, Lisa, and I attended many classes during the week that explained the Windows 10 computer operating system, including how to edit and organize photos, how to make videos accompanied by music, and how to use specialty programs such as OneDrive.
Lisa and I took several cooking classes.  I especially enjoyed the Spanish tapas class, with recipes for shrimp sauteed with herbs and Spanish tortilla.  I even learned to make alcohol-free sangria!  I have ordered a black silk flamenco shawl, will spread it on the table as a runner, and will serve a paella dinner with the tapas I learned to make on Holland America.
The Eurodam staff of naturalists gave lectures on Alaska geology and wildlife.  We learned that salmon is at the base of the Alaskan ecosystem, providing food for wildlife and, after making its way through bears, fertilizer for the forests.
 A quintet from Belarus provided concerts nearly every day.  Their American music concert was a special treat, with Gershwin's "American in Paris" and Copland's "Appalachian Spring".
 On our first night at sea, we tried out the Eurodam's specialty restaurant, "The Pinnacle."  My cioppino was nearly as good as Lisa's and Dave's fresh halibut.
 And, of course, we ordered the pecan tart for dessert....
Dave's and my favorite nightly performers were a man and woman who played two pianos and sang pop ballads.  Twice an evening, they focused on different eras and performers--Beatles music, Elvis music, songs from the 40s, the 60's, the 80's.  Their acts tempted even early bird David to stay up late.
 We returned to our cabin each night to find the signature Holland America towel animals.  One afternoon I took a class on making towel animals and even bought the book.  Visitors to the Spendlove B&B may now receive a towel animal!
The on-board presentations and treats were almost too diverting.  Dave and I both spent an hour or two, now and then, just recovering!

No comments: