I adore Rootstech, the annual genealogical conference which hosted 30,000 attendees to its presentations, held in Salt Lake City between February 27, 2019, and March 2, 2019. I attended the conference nine hours per day for four days, and I still wanted more.
Rootstech is sponsored by Family Search, the Church of Jesus Christ family history organization which brings together the biggest companies (Ancestry, My Heritage, Findmypast) and the most interesting speakers on genealogy and, more broadly, family history. The classes range from technical discussions about Scottish and Dutch records to presentations on saving old photographs and spicing up family reunions.
Each day there is a "general session" with a prominent, entertaining speaker. I listened to Saroo Brierley tell about finding his mother in a small Indian village, after being separated from her as a five year old, and then adopted by an Australian family. His story was dramatized in the blockbuster movie, "Lion."
I also enjoyed the master ukelele player, Jay Sakamura, who had won every Hawaiian medal possible for ukelele playing! The general sessions are a bit random, but fun.
Lisa Cooke is a popular Rootstech speaker who discussed the most efficient ways to use Google for family history research. I was so impressed, I bought a subscription to her podcast and videos.
The Rootstech attendees are not a stylish or beautiful group.
I had several emphases during Rootstech 2019. I attended multiple classes on combining DNA test results and standard genealogy research to help find ancestors. I attended multiple classes on the newest programs and innovations on Family Search and Ancestry, the two main search engines that I use. And I attended multiple classes on British and Scottish research, since that is where most of my relatives come from.
The vendor area wields a strong pull. I couldn't resist the half price discount on 23&Me DNA health and genealogy testing kits. I also signed up for a half hour of free private coaching, during which my teacher gave tips on how to find the tie between my Hamilton ancestors and the Hamiltons who owned six Scottish castles!
One interactive area encouraged attendees to take a piece of string and loop it past the areas on a world map where they lived and where they had ancestors.
Each morning, I checked the posters featuring the day's highlights. Each afternoon, I could hardly wait to get back for the next morning's 8 a.m. class. And when it was all over, I immediately docketed the date of next year's Rootstech conference. I will let nothing interfere!











No comments:
Post a Comment