I enjoy the bling and glitz of Vegas, so long as my visits are only for a few days. My Uber driver from the airport to the Tropicana was a would-be stand-up comic, who spends every evening haunting the comedy clubs, trying to get his break. Vegas is a city of dreams.
Dave and I made our pilgrimage to Primm, 30 minutes drive south of Vegas, on Thursday night. It is never too early to begin assembling gifts for my Christmas table.
The Williams Sonoma Outlet in Primm is irresistible. I piled my cart high.
On Friday morning, I took part in a conference call on one of my Utah developments, and I then spent the afternoon moseying along the Strip, as David finished his meetings.
I stopped in at the new Eataly space, with its array of Italian restaurants and food shops.
I inspected the imported cheeses and proscuitto, but spend my calories on a cannoli and gelato.
I wandered on to the Bellagio, where I checked out the latest installation of plants and structures in the Conservatory. The theme was a Japanese teahouse in the spring.
I admired the tulips and dared to hope that spring would come soon to Salt Lake City, as well.
Dave and I ate dinner at Il Fornaio, a fancy Italian restaurant at the Venetian.
We then attended a performance by Earth Wind & Fire, a 70s rock band.
We didn't recognize as many songs as we hoped, but we were impressed with how well the group had moved into the 2000s, with amazing special effects and a modern sound. I wish I could do so well at retrofitting my 1970s body and soul!
The Venetian auditorium was decorated like an Italian opera house, all red velvet and gold. Pretense and hope--those are at the center of the sumptuous, gambling soul of Vegas. We'll be back.















No comments:
Post a Comment