Michael is not one to squander even a moment of a trip. Our plane didn't leave Chicago until 7 p.m. on October 4, 2021. I asked Michael to choose the itinerary for our day in the Windy City. He chose lunch at a Japanese barbecue restaurant and
then an architectural cruise along the north and south branches of the Chicago
River.
I adored the Japanese
barbecue. There was a fire pit built
into our table, and we grilled bits of marinated pork belly (bacon), pork,
chicken, and several varieties of steak, as well as a foil-wrapped package of
mushrooms, which we dipped into melted cheese sauce. Each type of meat was marinated in a different,
delicious sauce, and there were also dipping sauces for after the meat came off
the grill. I have never eaten meat so
crisp, sizzling, and juicy. David and I have taken the architectural cruise along the
Chicago River a couple of times, but I don’t remember enjoying it as much as
I did on this trip. I marveled at the
sheer variety of Chicago’s stylish buildings, from so many different
periods. And, of course, we noted the flashy Trump Tower.
It was a relaxed afternoon, with our guide's witty and fact-filled patter.
Dave is always up for a boat ride, whether it is along the Mississippi, the Chicago River, or the Nile. The only time I have seen him balk at a boat ride was a dugout canoe trip across a crocodile-infested river in the tribal areas of Ethiopia!
And, of course, the people-watching on a boat is as fun as the sights. iPhones, UP!
No comments:
Post a Comment