Thursday, February 1, 2024

Rouladen, Spaetzl, et al. (1/7/23)

The theme at my January 7, 2023 dinner was "Germany" and the menu was rouladen, spaetzl, rye bread, and rot greut.  Liz Calder flies back to Boston this week and I offered her a German meal before she left, since she was an LDS missionary in Germany.  "What shall we have for dessert?" I asked Liz and my brother, Scott.  "Rot greut," Liz suggested, and, after some Google research, I obtained a recipe for that compote of red fruits--strawberries, raspberries, and cherries.  "It tastes just like what I bought in the grocery store in Frankfurt," Scott said approvingly.  The whole family helped to put on the meal, including Jonny snipping the kitchen twine from the rouladen.  Rouladen are beef rolls stuffed with mustard, pickle, and bacon, roasted in a savory sauce.
Good dinner parties include spirited conversation.  See how intently the family around the dinner table are listening to Camille.  After dinner, each guest shared a memory or fact about Germany.

I love to meet my children's and grandchildren's friends.
Before and after dinner, the guests laughed and talked.


The little guys roamed my house, talking their own language and only reaching to the other guests' knees!



Audrey took her usual Sunday nap on the living room couch, oblivious to the commotion about her.
Downstairs, Jonny's boys celebrated their freedom, at Grandma's house, from their usual restrictions on "screens."
And when it was all over, Grandma and her helpers cleared up the mess!
* Thank you to Mia Ebert for these great pictures!

No comments: