Saturday, March 1, 2025

Caribbean Cruise: Puerto Rico (2.9.25)

San Juan, Puerto Rico holds memories for me. On February 9, 2025, we visited El Yunque, the national forest outside San Juan.  Dave and I also visited El Yunque with Jonny and Michael when they were teenagers, on our first cruise.  As I remembered that fun adventure with Jonny and Michael, I was proud of the strong, capable men they have become during the last twenty-five years.
Our ship cruised into the San Juan port early in the morning, past El Morro, the huge fortress guarding the harbor from pirates since the 1500s.  

 


El Yunque is an hour from San Juan.  We drove higher and higher into El Yunque, up a narrow, winding road through tropical forests to a tower on a mountain top.  I climbed to the top of the tower for spectacular views of the mountains and forests on one side, and San Juan on the other, far in the distance, with the sea behind it.


We stopped at a waterfall, and then wandered past bright tropical flowers surrounding it.




We searched for the LDS San Juan Temple, in a suburb near the capital.

We finished the day by wandering through the cobblestone streets of Old San Juan, and taking one last look at El Morro, from the city square.


No comments: