
Lisa and her children arrived in Salt Lake City on June 24, ready to spend a few days resting up and visiting Kyle's parents before leaving on our odyssey to the Spendlove family reunion in Tennessee. Unfortunately, Kyle had to stay back home in Seattle and work. Uncle Mike was more than willing to play a few games of "Ticket to Ride" with Spencer, Grant, Michael, Bryce, and Kirsten as they relaxed at our house.

I marveled at how grown-up and pretty Kirsten and Alyssa have become.

Lisa and I took the "little guys," Alyssa and Bryce, on a field trip to the Joseph Smith Building and Lion House in downtown Salt Lake. Bryce and Alyssa posed by the huge Joseph Smith statue in the lobby of the Joseph Smith Building.

We then wandered through the Lion House, historic home of Brigham Young. I have been reading Leonard Arrington's classic biography of Brigham Young, and so I was particularly interested in the Victorian decorations, from the maroon patterned rug and silk settee in the entry...


to the heavily carved wood bedstead, quilt, chandelier, and pottery bowl and pitcher in the bedroom.


The drawing room had opulent maroon velvet chairs and flowered green carpet. Lisa is decorating her bedroom in Seattle in Victorian style, and I have been studying Architectural Digest and House Beautiful magazines to improve my eye so I can help her. That is a second reason I took intense interest in the Lion House furnishings.

Alyssa pointed out the beehive carved on the banister.

The night before we left on our trip, I took the Flindt kids to Barnes & Noble and let them each pick out a book (or two) to read on the trip.

I have seen these book-loving kids go catatonic as they disappear into the imaginary world of print, and that provides peace for the drivers! The Sunday before we left, Lisa joined Michael, David, and me on our porch for the bounties of summer--strawberry lemonade, salmon, fresh corn, and salad.

Lisa arranged flowers from our garden for the feast.

We used the flowered china that was my Grandmother Calder's gift to my mom and dad for their wedding in 1946. I felt close to all three of my ancestors as we ate the fresh produce those farm-bred relatives would have savored.
1 comment:
I don't know what looks better, the summer weather when it's November in Chicago, or the home cooked meal when I've had catered hors d'oeuvres and boxed lunches for the last two months! It looks like you all had a great time.
Post a Comment