Oakley, Utah, is a million miles from Salt Lake. At least it feels that way. We spent the weekend of August 14-16 with Lisa and the kids at our cabin in the Uintah Mountains, near Oakley.
On Friday night, we tried the new Mexican restaurant in Midway, Turamura (sp?). We loved the 20-item salsa bar, as well as the quesadillas, shrimp and mango salads, and round, white Mexican wedding cakes like Grandma Rose use to make.
Dave went running with Kirsten and Grant on Saturday morning. Lisa and I went walking. We loved watching the summer sunlight filter through the trees.
Next, we drove into Kamas to check out the New West Country Store, with its great selection of cowboy hats, boots, and saddles.
We bought ice cream at a pizza shop across the street. We ate it on the bench outside, watching for pickup trucks to drive by.
We hiked around Mirror Lake, always a favorite place.
We smelled the sweet pine sap from the trees.
And, of course, we made nominations for the dog of the day. The winner was a Malamute/timberwolf mix, although this big, black doggie was a close runner-up.
We ate supper at the Road Island Diner in Oakley, playing the Beatles and Elvis Presley on the juke box.
Dave and I then attended a wedding reception for Stewart Grow, Jr. in Peoa, down the road, while Grant stoked the fireplace to create the kind of coals that make for great roasted marshmallows!
Grant, Kirsten, and I finished the day with a video of "The Hunger Games," as I ironed napkins ("Why, Grandma? Why do your napkins need to be ironed?"). Grant and Kirsten had read The Hunger Games books, and explained the strategy and meaning of the movie to me. I treasure the insights I gain from my grandkids on all kinds of things.

4 comments:
Great times with special people
David
Lots of fun activities and great pictures. I really liked the one of the river (or was it a lake?) ad the one of Dad eating ice cream with Kirsten and Bryce.
Grandma we had a ton of fun that weekend! It was fun to just relax and have a good time at the cabin.
Looks like a great time, Mom! I went to that Mexican restaurant in Midway last year and also loved the salsa bar with all the different flavors.
Post a Comment