Sunday, October 25, 2015

Cousins

 On Saturday, September 18, I spent the day with my female Calder cousins at Millie Kay Francis' cabin 54 miles past Heber City, on the way to Vernal.  There were children of each of my dad's brothers and sister there--Cal Volkman (Aunt Sally), Millie Kay Francis (Uncle Howard), Sally Joyce Bradshaw, Colleen Marshall, and Susie Liechty (Uncle Dave), and Janet Calder (Uncle Ham).  My cousins were spending two nights together at the elegant cabin, but I could only get away for the day.  We sat around a table for seven hours straight, telling family stories, laughing, and eating luscious bits of this and that.  Sally Joyce let me copy an album of precious photos from when our dads were little.  There were 20 to 30 photos I had never seen before, including a picture of the Calder brothers showing their pet sheep at the county fair!
I spent the evening of September 17 with Larry Stratford, Aunt Sally's son and the Calder family genealogist.  He and his wife were visiting from Northern California.  They invited me to meet them at Blue Lemon for supper, and Larry presented me with treats only another would-be genealogist like me would appreciate--old family photos and letters. 

No comments: