Monday, June 11, 2018

Everything But the Food

 It is tough to be both the photographer and the cook.  At my best, I sneak in a couple of shots before dinner, rush madly to get the food on the table, and then, when dinner is over, I take another photo or two of the empty dishes.  No matter.  The most important thing, for any dinner party, is the guests and not the food.  On May 27, 2018, Camille's family joined Dave and me, Janice, Alan Dale, and Shauna to greet Jonny, Jenny, and their little boys.  Mike and Heidi were in NYC, watching "Hamilton" on Broadway.  The theme was "Polish", with borscht, pork tenderloin with plum sauce, potatoes in cheese sauce, cucumber salad, and homemade rye bread.  For dessert, I cooked a traditional Polish poppy seed cake, with a pound of poppy seeds (which nobody liked) and a traditional Polish cheesecake (which everyone did).  My question, at the end of each ethnic dinner, is "Which of these dishes do you want to eat again?"  I am always experimenting, and I would be fine with, "None of them!"
 The littlest Ebert, Mia, loves the little Spendloves.  Henry has a fan club.
 Naomi and Jenny had lots to talk about, including Jenny's new baby, due at the end of June.  Jonny and Jenny will stay in SLC for two months, until after the baby is born.  With the move last month from Miami to Bettendorf, Iowa, and Jonny traveling 50% of the time for his work, Jenny decided to have her baby in SLC, rather than among strangers in Iowa. 
Janice, Alan, and Shauna are frequent and always warmly welcomed guests.  The embroidered centerpiece is a treasure from Poland, via eBay.

No comments: