Monday, December 30, 2019

Dining in Morocco

Casablanca!  Marrakesh!  I love the exotic, in travel and in food, and anything Moroccan is innately exotic.  On September 29, 2019, I spread my table with a purple cloth patterned with large white paisleys, lighted candles in intricate metal candle holders, and served chicken and couscous. 
I traveled to Morocco as a little girl, and I would love to go again.  Morocco has red rock cities built around Medieval castles.  It has blue cities, and it has "souks", or bazaars, with winding lanes and hawkers selling handmade rugs, leather "pouf" couches, and bright red, green, and yellow table glasses trimmed with gold leaf. 

I recently bought my own tagine, or cooking pot with long-necked lid (foreground).  For Sunday dinner, I cooked chicken with preserved lemons, green olives, and fennel, served over fluffy couscous.  My guests and I savored baklava with apricot ice cream for desert.

 Modern tagines are made of metal and cook on gas or electric burners.
 Traditional tagines are made of pottery and cook over open fires or coals.
Dave's and my guests--Mike and Heidi, Alan and Shauna, and Carol Garza--are amazingly tolerant of my cooking extravaganzas.  "I tell my children what I ate for dinner at your house," Shauna says, "and they don't believe me."

No comments: