Monday, November 25, 2019

A Shower for Heidi and Audrey

On September 28, 2019, I attended the baby shower Heidi’s sister, Mauresa, held for Heidi.  Everyone is excited to meet Baby Audrey, when she arrives in a couple of weeks.  
When I arrived, pink, yellow, and green streamers festooned the room next to the Woods Cross Stake kitchen where the party was held.  "My family knows how to plan a party," Heidi has said, and that is certainly true.

I enjoyed meeting Heidi’s cousins and aunts, as well as Heidi's good friends from Church and her job.
Mauresa led some fun games, including tasting and identifying various flavors of baby food (the beef was nasty) and guessing the answers Mike and Heidi had given to questions about their baby.  They were asked what they most looked forward to about having a baby, and they both answered, “Having a little friend to play with.”  Mike and Heidi also joked about looking up their baby’s proposed name (Audrey Marie) on the internet and learning that it was the name of a female wrestler!  I won two Almond Joy candy bars for my good answers to the game questions.  I don’t usually allow myself the luxury of eating candy bars, so that was a treat.
I ordered a variety of gifts on Amazon, but they didn’t arrive in time for the shower.  I hurried to Smith's and bought a $50 Amazon gift certificate, to cover the gap, as well as a teething toy and some rubber duckies.  I told Heidi to use the $50 to buy some of the things on her Amazon gift list which she might not receive from friends and relatives.
I told Heidi how fond I am of her family, “And they love you, too,” Heidi responded.  I lent Gay Bastian, Heidi’s mom, my seven or eight blue Chinese porcelain vases for the wedding reception of Heidi’s sister, Calise, last summer, and Gay responded by bringing me, at the shower, a box of peaches and apples “right off the tree.”  Gay mentioned how glad she was that Heidi and Mike don’t feel they need to be together every minute in order to be happily married.  “I know Mike feels very close to you and that he had a great time in Ethiopia, but Heidi had a blast with us in Axtell, too!” Gay said.

No comments: