My Eyring cousins have not had a reunion for at least ten years. On June 22, 2019, the Eyrings gathered at Dave's and my house--all my cousins whose grandfather was Edward Eyring, with either Caroline or Emma as their grandmother. Cousins' children over 50 years old were also invited. It was a special treat to have Kent and Toshiko join us, as well as Scott and Jean. I smuggled Lisa, Camille, Mike, Jonny, and Annie in as photographers, handymen, and chef's helpers. Our honored guest was my cousin Hal Eyring, who is a member of the LDS Church First Presidency. He arrived with bodyguard and large black SUV. Hal was on his way to a mission presidents' training meeting, with all the other apostles and First Presidency. We were flattered and grateful that he made time to mingle with his cousins and give a short talk about his memories of his Eyring grandparents.
Jan Eyring (left) was chief organizer for the event. "Managing a cousins' group is a lot easier than managing a university department," she said, as I told her how much I appreciated her hard work in supervising not only the cousins' luncheon group, but also our retreat. Jan used to be head of the English Department for one of the California universities. Camilla Smith (middle) was the MC for the program. Camilla has had ample experience as a leader, as well, as a member of the National Public Radio Board, the chair of the Leakey Foundation (which sponsors archaeology around the world), and a member of the Board of Trustees for the University of California-Berkeley. I provided house and entrees, and the rest of the cousins brought side dishes, desserts, photos and quilts for the artifact table, high spirits, and memories.
We mingled in the backyard before dinner.
It was a special treat to have Kent and Toshiko join the party.
Scott and Jean were as delighted to spend time with Kent and Toshiko as I was.
Descendants from Edward's many children got acquainted and reacquainted. The lady on the left (Aunt Catherine's granddaughter) is a daughter of Catherine Poelman Weight. The middle lady is (I believe) Gwen Miner (daughter-in-law of Aunt Caroline), and the gentleman on the left is Camilla Smith's husband, George (son-in-law of Aunt Caroline).
My cousin Ted Eyring (Uncle Henry's son) attended with his family. At 69, I am one of the youngest cousins, and the older cousins are getting fragile.
I enjoyed meeting Ed Kimball's daughter (granddaughter of Aunt Camilla) and her husband, who is a professor at BYU.
My cousin Phil Eyring (Uncle Joe's son) is 85. He chatted with Bill Edwards (Aunt Catherine's son).
I am especially fond of Judy and Bob Edwards (on the left), who now live in our ward. Uncle Tony's granddaughter, Diana, is standing next to Bob and Judy. She remembers, as a child, visiting Uncle Tony at his mansion on Mercer Island, a wealthy suburb of Seattle. I believe the lady on the right is one of Phil Eyring's daughters.
Kay Heber (second from left) is a daughter of Aunt Maurine. Aunt Maurine (Aunt Emma's daughter) was seven months older than my mother, and they were in the same grade all through school. Teachers told them they couldn't possibly be sisters, but they insisted they were! Before she died, my mother encouraged me to get acquainted with gracious Kay, who took Aunt Maurine to visit Mom several times after they could no longer travel alone.
It was a treat to meet many members of Aunt Emma's family who were not familiar to me. The two cousins in the photo above are children of Aunt Ruth. A whole carload of Aunt Ruth's daughters drove from Arizona for the reunion, and their brother flew to SLC for the reunion from Delaware.
Carolyn Clive and Catherine Poelman Weight, daughters of Aunt Catherine, are special friends of mine. They are gracious, independent, full of energy, and very talented. When I was a teenager, my mother suggested that if I wanted a role model, Catherine Poelman Weight (then Catherine Edwards) would be a good one! Carolyn Clive earned a Ph.D in art, supervised art programs for a school district in Florida, and later developed her own jewelry line which she sold through Saks Fifth Avenue. She spent several years as a caretaker for her husband, who had Alzheimers, before he died. She is now out and about, at 80. Her Christmas card included a photo of her in a yellow helmet, riding in a race car! Carolyn and her husband bought 42 grave plots in the Salt Lake City Cemetery, near Dave's and my plots. I told her I will look for her on the morning of the First Resurrection!
Monday, November 11, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













No comments:
Post a Comment