Monday, November 11, 2019

American Shakes and Korean Barbecue



On June 2, 2019, Dave and I drove to the cabin for the first time this spring. Dave wanted to de-winterize the cabin and spread termite-killer.  On our way, we stopped at the Park City Home Depot to buy termite killer.  Dave sat on one of the small John Deere tractors which had a “For sale--$2395” sign in front of it.  I took Dave’s photo and he emailed it to Jonny with the comment, “An idea for a Father’s Day gift.”

The daffodils which Dave’s dad planted were in bloom.  We sat inside the cabin on the couches and let the silence envelop us.  There was no cell phone coverage, so Dave couldn’t receive any of the texts that assail him day and night, now that he is a bishop.  “I can’t believe how quiet and peaceful this is,” Dave sighed. We tried to plan how to fit overnight visits to the cabin into our life this summer, but it seemed just too complicated.  Dave likes to go walking with his friends early on Saturday mornings, and he will have bishopric meetings at 6:30 or 7:30 a.m. every Sunday morning.

After checking out the cabin, we drove into Kamas for an “everything” shake at Hi-Mountain.  The shake is decadent—a mixture of ice cream and several different candy bars—Skor, butterfinger, Hershey’s, and more.  It was an “I can’t believe I ate this” event.  It was also very good.
      
  
We then drove along the Mirror Lake Road as far as we could, until it was closed due to snow drifts.  I never get enough of that road.  The snow-covered mountains loom high above and the Provo River rushes alongside.  Every turnout is a trailhead, beckoning us to delightful hikes.


On Sunday, June 3, 2019, I hosted a family dinner with Korean food.    I decided to try "Korean" because I wanted my grandson Spencer's wife, Naomi, to critique my ginger ice cream.

 Annie was watching the Ebert children, while Steve and Camille finished up their trip to Croatia, Hungary, Moldova, and Romania.  Annie welcomed my invitation to come to dinner, and the whole Ebert crew soon arrived and began sampling the pineapple lemonade and pork dumplings.  Sophie tentatively asked, “Is there room for me at the main table?” and I was delighted to tell her that, yes, we wanted her right there in the middle of the adults!

 Shauna joined us in sampling the ginger ice cream and the homemade fortune cookies.




The fortune cookies will take a few more tries!

No comments: