Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Tokyo and New Orleans

 In early March 2020, we were blissfully unaware that the coronavirus was stealthily infiltrating America and would soon make gregarious Sunday dinners with family and friends a luxury of the past.  The virus was "over there" in China, although there were rumblings that it was coming our way.

On March 1, 2020, I did a practice run of the dinner with which I hoped to welcome Jono home from his LDS mission to Japan.  It was Asian soul food--a bowl of pork ramen and as much shrimp tempura as we could eat.  For dessert, we had ginger ice cream.  The last time we were with Jono was June 2018, although we've gotten lots of Facetime glimpses of him since then.
The Eberts had a party with the Other Grandparents on March 1, so we honored Jono and his family in absentia.  Dave's sister Janice joined us.
 The dinner reminded Mike of Heidi's and his trip to Japan to see the cherry blossoms a few years ago.  For months before that trip, they cooked Japanese food to get ready.

Mike and Heidi brought Audrey, as stylishly arrayed as usual, with cap and bow.  Mike held Audrey in the grip he has perfected as most likely to prevent howls.
 We're thrilled that Audrey is now old enough and healthy enough to attend our Sunday dinners with her mom.  That looks like a burp cloth on Heidi's shoulder!
 All was not happiness, however.
On March 8, 2020, we celebrated Mardi Gras with chicken gumbo, red beans and rice, and shrimp remoulade.  I made a King's cake for dessert, and I arrayed the tables with glitzy green/purple/gold table runners, feathers, and beads.

 Camille and Steve spent this weekend at a fancy resort, as a prize for Steve's business performance this year.  Emily brought her sibs to our house for Mardi Gras.  We began the meal with Shirley Temple mocktails, served with bright-colored, squiggly straws.  I was so busy cooking that I forgot to take pictures of all the guests, including beloved Naomi, Spencer, and Grant.  Grant and Emilie stayed after dinner to talk about missionary work at a "Bishop's Fireside" for our ward's teenagers.
I did get pictures of cute Mia and Annelise.

No comments: