The papers have been full of plans to sell the Fairpark, the valuable piece of North Temple land where the Utah Fair is held each year. Dave and I grieved at the thought--visiting the fair is a beloved fall tradition. We (and 300,000 others) made a pilgrimage to the fair this year--a large enough following for the fair to break a rare profit.
We wandered the midway on Friday, September 5, 2014, and also stopped at a tent operated by Al Rounds, a well-known Utah artist. We bought a print of a young woman, all alone in a snowy vastness, pulling a handcart. Al Rounds told us his prototype was an ancestor of President Hinckley, but I thought of my great-grandmother, Mary Bomelli, who also crossed the plains by handcart.
Dave and I wandered through the craft exhibits, appreciating the stained glass and fine needlework, but looking askance at some strange sculptures!
Our favorite exhibits were, of course, the animals--cows, goats, and lusciously obese pigs.
Saturday, December 27, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment