As Dave and I walked around the Utah State Fair on September 8, 2018, I had the same feeling I have at an exhibition of paintings of the surrealist artist, Salvador Dali--"I can't believe I'm seeing this."
With Dali, I can't believe I'm seeing a mustache that sticks straight up or a limp wristwatch.
At the fair, I couldn't believe I just saw an advertisement for toe rings, a sign paid for by the Utah state government proclaiming, "Goats just wanna have fun," or fried everything.
The commercial halls always draw me in, with their irresistible but useless items. I absolutely had to have a set of these blue plastic "fits all" bowl covers.
I tried to keep Dave from seeing this "Dump your timeshare" booth.
Ah, the pig races! Always a highlight of the fair for me.
What was this torture stand? This boy could earn $100 if he could suspend himself from this bar for 100 seconds (He couldn't).
And where but at the fair could you buy a concealed weapon handbag?
To raise our cultural experience at the fair a notch, we visited the pigs.
I was eyed intently by this sheep.
This is a "show cow", raised, its owner said, solely for its beauty.
And this cow was displayed solely for its hugeness--it is eight years old and weighs more than a ton.
As I researched my father's biography, there were many references to the animals that the Calder boys showed at the county fair, and the awards they won. I imagine those contests looked a bit like this one, but with smaller contestants.
Dave and I always wander through the fine arts pavilion. The guest artist this year was Scott Rogers, who created wonderful Western sculptures.
With my interest in ethnic food, I have also developed an interest in ethnic crafts, such as this display of Norwegian rosewaling. I would like a piece or two for my Scandinavian dinners!
As I admired the beautiful handwork in the home arts pavilion, I remembered the days when Camille and Lisa were in 4-H and displayed their dresses at the county and state fairs.
And, of course, what is a sprawling state fair without some military might? This huge truck was parked next to the Marine recruiting station.
Sunday, October 14, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)























No comments:
Post a Comment