Sunday, May 29, 2022

Heart and Seoul

The evening of October 31, 2021, we had our Korean dinner.

The menu was lavish—mango bubble smoothie, with “boba”; bulgogi (flank steak marinated in soy sauce and herbs); sweet and spicy shrimp; bimbimbap (a variation on fried rice); and a big fruit salad with lychee nuts.  For dessert, we had stewed pears with homemade vanilla ice cream.  Even that, seemingly Western dessert, was patterned on a Korean dish out of my cookbook.  I left out the black peppercorns that would have made the stewed pears authentically Korean!

 

It was wonderful to see my beloved grandchildren and great-grandchildren, after being gone so long.  Ellie, my oldest great-grandchild, is nearly walking now, and she says some very clear words—“Hi,” “No,” and “Daisy.”  Daisy is Spencer and Naomi’s dog, but Ellie also calls the cat owned by Kirsten’s roommate “Daisy.”  Kirsten watches Ellie a couple of days per week. Kirsten says Ellie and the cat eye each other with interest, but keep their distance!


I have never been to Korea, although I've been to Japan, China, and most other countries in Asia.  I would love to go.  I can imagine vibrant, crowded Seoul.
I can also imagine the lovely, Asian parks and gardens I might visit.

No comments: