When people ask why I plan fancy Sunday dinners, I say, "It's to lure the grandchildren to my house." When Henry asks each week, "What's the theme today?", it confirms the value of focusing my menus on different foreign dishes. On July 27, 2025, we celebrated the cooking of Morocco. Mike's children, Calder and Audrey, were my only small guests, although Dave and I were also joined by Mike and Heidi, my brother Scott, and Dave's and my sister-in-law, Shauna.
The entree was a Moroccan chicken casserole which included green olives and was flavored with lemon juice, fennel seed, and other exotic spices. We also ate lentil soup, roasted eggplant and peppers, basmati rice pilaf, and Scott's delicious contribution--three bowls of fresh fruit. For dessert, we had homemade baklava and peach ice cream.
I keep a collection of "stuffies" for the grandchildren. I bought this cockroach-looking critter in New Zealand. It is an endangered species, but I felt little concern for it. Calder brought it to the table.

"Can I eat it?" Scott wondered.
I feigned terror when Calder touched me with it!
Heidi, calm in any circumstances, continued with her needlework!
No comments:
Post a Comment