Sunday, January 26, 2014

Defrosting

January 10, 2014.  Christmas was over and the kids were gone.  Dave and I headed south to St. George to defrost. 
We attended a temple session.  I found the temple particularly interesting because I had just finished a book about the building of the temple, for which my great-great grandfather, Miles Romney, was general contractor.
 
We sampled the shrimp/pineapple salad at Costa Vida, our favorite Mexican restaurant in St. George.

 
 
We then watched the movie, "The Butler," which told the story of the Civil Rights movement from the point of view of an African-American man serving as a butler at the White House.  He remembered the lynchings in the South in the 1930s, yet his career stretched forward, through the Civil Rights movement to the election of Barack Obama as the first African-American president.  Dave remembers, as a little boy in Maryland, going to theaters where African-Americans entered through a special door and sat in the balcony, yet we have also lived to see the election of Barack Obama.
We also had time to sleep in, hang out, and just recover from the delightful indulgences of Christmas.


No comments: