I finally met my second cousin, Mitt Romney. I was a member of the committee that put together a $500 per person dinner on January 14, 2014, for the Utah Chapter of NAIOP, a developers' organization, at which Mitt Romney spoke. The event was held in a ballroom at The Canyons resort near Park City, with a sell-out crowd of 330. Mitt's advertised topic was "Elevating Real Estate," but he admitted at the outset that he knew little about real estate but much about what was right and wrong about America. We heard an excellent, polished speech, complete with graphs and power point, which was so partisan that I wondered how a "retired" politician could still have such passionate views.
Mitt was sophisticated, well prepared, and charming, and I was thrilled to be scooted next to his side, while he talked earnestly to someone else, for a photo op. When I receive that picture, it will be carefully edited and added to this blog posting.
One of the perks of being a committee member was staying at the Hyatt Escala overnight. Dave had his own commitments in SLC, so I reveled, alone, in the luxury of a fireplace in my bedroom, over-sized beds and shower, and a view of the steaming swimming pool outside my window. There was no 5:30 a.m. alarm to waken me.
I didn't know The Canyons was so large or so luxe. When I left the resort, early in the morning of January 15, 2014, the light was still blue and frosty, the taillights gleamed red on the cars driven up to the lobby by the valets, and bins of snowboards and skis lined the porch. A couple of guests in snowpants hurried to a van, chatting in Hindi (?). The valet assured me that the season was "pretty good right now."



No comments:
Post a Comment