Tuesday, May 1, 2018

The Flindts--All Together Again

 I knew our missionary, Grant, was feeling right at home when I came into the kitchen on the morning of Saturday, March 31, and found him happily downing a bowl of cereal.  A week ago, Grant was contacting prospective LDS Church members in Prague, Czech Republic.  Grant will spend the spring and summer working at an assisted living center in Seattle before returning to his premed studies at BYU in the fall.  Lisa and Kyle brought Grant to SLC for Conference so that the five Flindt family members at BYU-Idaho and BYU-Provo could welcome him home.  A friend of Grant's had Conference Center tickets for the Saturday morning session of Conference, so Grant was all dressed up and ready to go early Saturday morning.
 Alyssa and Bryce traveled from Seattle to SLC for Conference, as well.  Alyssa enjoyed some quiet, early morning moments enjoying her big brother.
 I "borrowed" three of my grandchildren--Bryce, Michael K, and Alyssa-- to plant my Cannon Greens vegetable garden between the Saturday Conference sessions.  "I have a green thumb," Michael K said, and I took him up on it!  In one hour, flat, we planted the whole garden with onions, Swiss chard, kale, collards, cabbage, and broccolini.
 Michael K and his brothers attended Saturday evening Priesthood Conference at the Conference Center, after eating the cheese enchilada Mexican feast that I prepared.
 Kyle isn't always able to attend family reunions and trips, so it was a treat for us and his children to have him with us this weekend.
 Heidi has a large collection of hats, as well as necklaces which she strings herself.
 Grant and Bryce struck a pose for me.
Naomi led the Flindt women on a "girls' trip" on Saturday night.  They went shopping for clothes to wear in the family picture Mike Spendlove took for them on Sunday.  This may be the last time the Flindts are all together for several years.  Kirsten leaves on her 18 month mission this fall, and the two married couples (Michael K and Rebecca, and Spencer and Naomi) will graduate from college and scatter to find jobs in the next year or two.
 I fixed a traditional Easter dinner--no borcht or pad thai.  We had ham, homemade bread, green and fruit salads, brussels sprouts, and homemade ice cream.

 Michael's computer is his genie, on which he can summon statistics or beautiful photographs.
 Kyle's parents, Herb and JoDee Flindt, joined us for Sunday dinner.
 Shauna and Alan Dale were also there.
 Grant and Kirsten

 Herb Flindt
 Alan Dale Spendlove
 The whole clan, celebrating spring, flowers, good food, and Christ's resurrection.



No comments: