Sunday, May 6, 2018

Everything Nordic

 "I am 10% Scandinavian," I told my family, citing my Ancestry DNA test.  "And I know where that comes from--the Vikings who conquered northern Scotland."  My father's family comes from Dunnet, the northernmost town in Scotland, and the Orkney Islands, just across the strait, where a Norwegian earl ruled for many centuries.  I celebrated my Norse heritage on April 15, 2018, with a dinner of stuffed pork loin, cucumber salad, rye and orange nut breads, and strawberry cream cake.  Spencer and his wife, Naomi, came from BYU and brought Spencer's friend, Lance Nielson.  Jono will be attending BYU when he returns from his mission, and he enjoyed talking with his cousins and their friends.
I have collected Norwegian pewter, including serving spoons, bowls, and napkin rings with Viking symbols on them.  The table was covered with a runner in Scandinavian colors of red and Nordic blue, and Naomi arranged fresh flowers.
 I consulted three Scandinavian cookbooks to get the menu right.
 It is a treat for Camille and her family to join us.
Shauna and Alan Dale are frequent dinner guests.  Alan Dale brings loaves of fresh bread which he makes on Sunday morning.  "I have 100 different recipes for my bread maker," he assures me.

Janice's husband, Mark, is working in Saudi Arabia and "the house is quiet."  We enjoy having her join us, as well as regulars Heidi and Mike.
 Steve is a good dad, with jokes and hugs for his children.
Annie also shares hugs with Ezra.

No comments: