I turned 70 on March 17, 2020. Green has always been my St. Patrick's Day birthday color, but I don't feel so young and "green" any more. Even though Camille was in New York with Sophie on my birthday, she organized everyone in the family to write memories about me, which she compiled into a book. I opened it at the birthday dinner which Lisa and I cooked together for the family. The book was spectacular! I read it over and over and over! I can't believe all those wonderful stories are really about me.
Lisa bought me a birthday cake from the legendary Salt Lake bakery, Mrs. Backer's. It was the prettiest cake I had ever seen. It also brought back memories. When Lisa and Camille were growing up, we celebrated really special events with a Backer's cake. It was a special treat to have Lisa travel from Seattle to be with me.
I was surrounded by sweet family wishes, from relatives near and far. I thought how fortunate I am to have so many people I love, and to have had so much fun with them!
I also thought of my father, who loved me dearly and always remembered my birthday.
Sometimes he gave me a bouquet of green carnations.
And he told me he always wore green socks in honor of my St. Patrick's Day birthday!
Our dear neighbor, Carol Garza, joined us and gave me a special gift--Wusthof kitchen shears. "I know how you like those gadgets," she told me.
It is a treat to have Heidi with us. She is assembling a great collection of jewelry.
And the Eberts joined us en masse--everyone except Camille and Sophie.
Even Audrey was my birthday guest. Audrey has quite the wardrobe, including these striped pink socks!
We missed Spencer, Naomi, Grant, and Meg. Naomi's doctor has told her that if any of the doctor's patients get coronavirus, she can't see them anymore, as a protection to all her other pregnant patients. Naomi has a high risk pregnancy and the doctor is a specialist in her condition, so Naomi is not taking chances in being around groups, especially groups just back from the coronavirus hotspot of New York City. We totally understand, and we look forward to a time when we can be all together again.














No comments:
Post a Comment