Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Long Lost Pals

Dave and I had our May 9, 2020 Mother's Day dinner all planned.  Dave set up three tables in the backyard, so each of our children's families could sit together and keep their germs segregated.  He set out bottles of hand sanitizer as centerpieces.  And he told everyone that the only time they could come in the house was to fill their plates at the buffet table or (carefully and cleanly) use the restrooms.  We would be models of social distancing.  It didn't work out that way.  We hadn't gathered as a family since mid-March, and so the cousins clustered together, catching up.  Jono hadn't seen Grant, Spencer and Naomi in two years, because he came home from his Japanese mission last month and promptly went into quarantine.  Dave and I just hoped the balmy spring air blew away any germs that were with us.

 I briefly considered making Vietnamese pho, but decided to spare the family my usual exotica.  Our theme was "Paris in the Springtime."
 I fixed a big pot of beef bourguinon, served with potatoes au gratin, green salad, and crunchy French bread.
 Dessert was creme brulee with fresh berries.  Grant had three servings and told me, "Grandma, you've fixed lots of good desserts, but I think this is the best."


 Heidi wore a bright pink hat to celebrate.  Audrey had a spring hat, too!
Annelise summed up all our feelings, "Grandma, we haven't eaten outside in your garden for a long, long time.  It feels so good to be back!"

No comments: