Sophia left for her Spanish-speaking mission to Virginia in early February 2024. On January 21, 2024, we hosted a going-away family dinner for her, with Southern specialties. "Is shrimp and grits Southern enough for you?" I asked Sophia. "Or is that a Florida thing?" "I like shrimp and grits. Let's have it," Sophia affirmed. When Sophia arrives home from her mission, we may actually greet her back with enchiladas and mole. Her mission will be focused on Latinos living in Virginia.
It is always fun for me to gather my family around me, and especially when there is a special event we are celebrating, such as a missionary farewell.
Dave is my co-host and sous chef. "I don't do recipes," he repeatedly insists, but he will cut and saute vegetables and meat, if I instruct him on each step: "Slice these onions thin and then fry them in butter until they are limp." With my daughters and adult grandchildren (young women and most of the men), I just hand them the recipe and let them run with it. I appreciate any and all help, during the last chaos of getting the food on the table.
Jenny and her boys joined us, as did Shauna and Alan.
My brother Scott has been joining us more often, these days, as a beloved guest, and Dave's brother and sister-in-law, Alan and Shauna, are also esteemed regulars.
Camille's son, Jono, and his wife, Sarah, were also with us, and it was a treat to spend time with them.
Annie has been busy with projects in the BYU advertising program, so it was also a treat to have her break free of her studies.
Jonny's boys sometimes beeline for the TV in the basement, as soon as they arrive, since there is no restriction on "screens" at Grandma's house, as there is at home. They reappear later to eat dessert and whatever's left of dinner! That's perfectly fine with me--it gives Jenny a chance to catch her breath from the rigors of raising four darling, but energetic, boys. At this dinner, Sam forewent the screens and joined his cousins for the shrimp and grits.
Part of the fun of dinner is chatting in the kitchen as the sports-minded catch a bit of a football game.
No comments:
Post a Comment