Wednesday, December 24, 2025

Grandma Margery (12.24.25)

One of Dave's and my great pleasures, now that we have more time, is to do LDS temple ordinances for our ancestors.  On November 19, 2025, we attended the new Layton, Utah, temple.  I completed temple ceremonies on behalf of my 22nd great grandmother, Margery de Hulgreve, who was born in Cheshire, England, in 1241.  We believe everyone born on earth will have a chance to participate in temple ordinances, whether personally or through others acting as proxies.  They can accept the ordinances or reject them.  The ordinances bind families together forever.
The LDS Church has more than 350 temples built, under construction, or announced.  Some of them are described by temple workers as "work horses," since the volume of people attending their temple sessions is so great.  Dave and I visited the Layton Temple open house last year, and it seemed destined to become a "work horse," since it is so large and located in an area with a steadily growing LDS population. We realized the huge volume of temple work being done in the Salt Lake area when I searched the LDS Temple Appointments database for an appointment, on the morning of November 19, and learned that none of the five closer, Salt Lake area temples had an opening!  Layton is a forty minute or longer drive from our home.
I tried to picture what Margery might have looked like or how she lived.  I was intrigued by her French name, although she lived in England.  I imagined that her family might have emigrated from France, with or after the Norman Conquest of 1066.


I also marveled at the temple gardeners' ability to keep the temple grounds beautiful, even in November!  Pansies and ornamental cabbages substituted for the roses of the summer!

No comments: