Saturday, November 5, 2022

The Back Story

There is a lot that goes into a Sunday dinner besides sitting down to the table and eating.  On August 28, 2022, my grandson, Michael Flindt, took wonderful "back story" photos, showing what people really do while dinner is getting ready.  Michael's daughter, Lily, cuddles up to a teddy bear and chews a soft plastic block.

Of my whole Sunday dinner group, Carol Garza, from across the street, is most consistently on time.  Carol then sits in a corner of the kitchen, absorbing the "family vibe," while I gauge where on the road the last guests are, finish the final dishes, and rush to get the pots and pans in the sink.
Rebekah and Kirsten were great helpers, pouring the mint lemonade for our Southern barbecue dinner.  They had plenty to talk about--Kirsten's classes at BYU, Rebekah's job at Goldman Sachs, Baby Lily, or maybe just politics!
Bryce was also up from BYU and I enjoyed hearing about his new friends and classes as I finished the food.
Bryce is a fond uncle to Eliza and Lily.
For a one-year-old, a glass is a perfect toy.
Great dinners generate great messes.  My kitchen island is the center of operations, and I always hope I have a few minutes, before everyone arrives, to get it cleaned off.  Not this time--Spencer and Naomi have already arrived and are waiting in the hall!


Finally--dinner is on.  The barbecued ribs are just right!

No comments: