Sunday, January 20, 2019

First Funeral

 My new Church job is "compassionate service leader" in the Relief Society.  That's fancy language to say that I arrange donated dinners for new moms and sick ladies in our congregation (ward).  I am also in charge of the dinners which our ward provides to friends and families of the deceased after funerals.  I wracked my brain for why I was chosen for this job, when I think of my strengths as teaching, writing, and speaking.  "Now, Mother," one of my children chided me, "just how many dinner parties have you put on in your life?"
My first funeral dinner was on December 7, 2018.  It was a challenge because the family invited everyone who attended the funeral to dinner.  We fed more than 100 people!  Luckily, I had a whole crew of women to help, including dear friends Karen Derrick, Sonja Hales, and Liz Hammond.
 We served different varieties of soups and chilis, salads, fruit, and cookies.  The family brought plates of cheese and crackers, because that's what their mom who died often served.


There is nothing elegant about the ward "cultural hall" (combination basketball court and party place) where we hold the dinners, and nothing elegant about soup and salad, but the food is homemade and given with love.

No comments: