Monday, January 14, 2019

While the Cat's Away...

When I told Dave I was taking a trip to San Diego with "the ladies," he quickly said, "I'm going on a trip, too."  I was curious to see how he would spend the weekend of October 26, 2018.  Dave's choice was a solo road trip to southeast Utah, with its glorious red rock country.
To my surprise, Dave began his weekend with an LDS temple session at the tiny, rural Monticello Utah Temple.  One of my goals is to visit 10 new LDS temples each year, of the more than 150 which have been built.  I enjoy seeing the local motifs that the designers build into the temples, and to feel the pride, spirituality, and sense of community that a temple brings to each Mormon area in which one is built.  I had no idea that Dave embraced the idea of visiting temples himself.  He promised to take me back to Monticello to add that temple to my list.

 Wherever Dave and I go, we look for John Deere equipment, since that's what Jonny sells.

Dave spent Saturday in Moab, just north of Monticello.  It is a biker's and hiker's paradise, particularly in the spring, with wildflowers, and in the fall, with golden bushes and trees.

Dave hiked to Delicate Arch, in Arches National Park.  Delicate Arch is an international icon.  Dave reminded me that, during a trip to Germany, we saw Delicate Arch on the cover of a German magazine!
 Dave texted me photos of a Native American bear pendant, inlaid with turquoise and bits of opal, which he discovered at a Moab trading post.  It hung from three strands of onyx and other semi-precious stones and was certified as Navaho-made.  "Do you like this?  Would it be a good Christmas present?" he asked.  I was the envy of my friends, to have my husband so thoughtful and generous.  And yes, I loved the bear pendant!
It just so happened that I had been admiring bear pendants myself, as the ladies and I browsed in San Diego shops!  I had a great trip to San Diego, but I looked forward to spending the next trip (and many more) with David.

No comments: