Wednesday, November 5, 2025

Arctic Cruise VI: Prince Christian Sound, Iceland (8.18.25)

Our cruise director told us that, on August 12, 2025, we would visit a "bucket list item", Prince Christian Sound.  A "sound" is a passage through land, from one side of the sea to another, as opposed to a fjord, which is a passage from the sea inland, which then stops. I had never heard of Prince Christian Sound before, but by 5:30 AM, Dave and I were on the top deck, watching high cliffs emerge around us, first dark and then vibrant with dawn.  Our ship eventually had to turn back, because the entrance to the sea ahead of us was blocked by icebergs.  I took one photo after another. 










We noted the incongruousness of a man wearing a Hawaiian shirt as he toured Greenland.  On our later trip to Hawaii, we noticed that Dave was wearing a Nuuk, Greenland t-shirt!
As we left Prince Christian Sound, we passed our sister ship, the Insignia, just entering it.  The ships gave each other a multi-horn salute.

No comments: