Monday, August 3, 2026

Melanesian Cruise: The Opera House and The Rocks (Sydney, Australia 3.15.26)

Almost home.  Our ship docked in Sydney, Australia, on March 15, 2026,  We were up before dawn for the spectacular cruise into Sydney Harbor, past the Sydney Opera House and under the Sydney Bridge.  We then spent much of the day at the Sydney Zoo, one of the great zoos of the world, before eating supper at a cafe in The Rocks, a trendy area which was all green for St. Patricks Day.





We were most interested in visiting the koala bears, and we even paid extra for a "koala encounter," so we could get close.


Australia also has many other unique animals, such as wild dogs (dingos), kangaroos, emus, and Tasmanian devils.

I didn't realize how well camouflaged emus are until I tried to find the emu in this photo!
Vicious Tasmanian devils are my favorites, but the real Tasmanian devil at the zoo didn't look very vicious.
The zoo also had old favorites like gorillas, giraffes, and lizards.



We savored views of Sydney from the hillside zoo and, later, from a cruise through the harbor.


On this weekend evening, crowds filled the area near the pier known as The Rocks.  It was St. Patricks Day weekend, and the bands were playing and beer was flowing.
Dave and I ducked into the Modern Art Museum for a quick look at some interesting pieces by Mulkun Wirrpanda from Arnhem Land, an  aborigine area.  

I was also charmed by the paintings of Howard Artley, who is "interested in the idea of beauty in the suburbs."
Dave and I finished the day with great salads at a cafe in The Rocks, as crowds surged past us.



No comments: