Friday, December 16, 2011

Decking the Halls

"I can decorate the house for Christmas in two hours flat." That's what I tell everyone, but that doesn't take into account finding the tree and stringing the lights. First step in decking the halls is searching for the perfect tree and a wreath for the door.



We then drag the tree home...

(with a stop to enjoy Herb Flindt's Christmas blow-ups).



Next step is decorating the tree with brass ornaments, photo ornaments, ribbons, and (this year) chocolate balls wrapped in foil. It was like an archeology dig, layered with decorations from the different eras of my life.



And, finally, Dave arranges the outside lights. "Just eight this year," he explained, "because I'm not as religious."




Once we were all decorated, we relaxed and settled into the festive season at the ward party. The theme was "Home for the Holidays," with everyone's huge Christmas decorations (Pam and Wynn Johnsons' life-size reindeer, a giant nutcracker, and a huge lighted Santa). We needed Kyle and Lisa's lighted polar bears, bought in Florida during Christmas 2004! There were Norman Rockwell prints decorating the entryway (not completely installed in this picture)...

ward members' Christmas stockings, quilts, and wreaths strung around the cultural center...

and centerpieces (edifices) from the sisters' collections. I thought of the enormous red reindeer that Grandma Calder erected on her dining room table each year.



Holly Young showed a video of ward families celebrating Christmas, and "I'll Be Home for Christmas" played on the boom box. Robin Kimball and Bill were the Big Bosses, and Dave and I were delighted, this year, to just be sub-bosses.

My 91-year-old friend, Dorothy Spackman (who used to date Uncle Roley) told stories of her early Christmases during the 1920s.

Dave got to be an elf. He helped Kim Wilson, as Santa, hand out goodies.

One amazing thing about Mormon ward parties is the split-second clean-up as soon as the party ends!

Russ McSweeney is the master of both the "putting up" and "taking down."



1 comment:

Jonny said...

I think you guys get the award for the most interesting Christmas decoration tradition - 8 lights on the tree outside.