Thursday, January 2, 2020

Different Kinds of Fun

Readers of my blog postings might assume that all the Spendloves do for fun is eat dinner!  We do love ethnic dinners, but these photos, from the week of October 21-27, 2019, show some of the other things we do for fun.  On October 23, 2019, Dave and I attended a fundraiser for Utah Lieutenant Governor Spencer Cox, who is campaigning for governor.  The fundraiser was held on an empty floor of a half-built office building in the Valley Grove development of Pleasant Grove, near Provo.  Buffet tables were set on the concrete floors, and the views of city lights from all four sides of the floor were spectacular.  David and I were lucky with door prizes.  We won both a $500 gift certificate for massages and a certificate for a day of motorcycling.  We decided not to be greedy, and offered the motorcycling to another lucky winner.  The massage certificate went on the Christmas table for our children to bid for!
On October 24, 2019, Dave attended a Utah JAZZ NBA game with Mike, who has season tickets just a few rows from the court.  Mike is very generous about sharing his tickets.
That week, I also joined fellow members of NAIOP Utah, the real estate developers' trade organization, on a tour of the new Facebook computer storage site in Utah County.  Not everyone enjoys wearing a hard hat and fluorescent yellow vest and hiking around half-built buildings, but I do!
That same weekend, Dave and I attended a performance of the Utah Symphony, with a piano soloist playing one of my favorite works, Rachmaninoff's "Variations on a Theme by Paganini."
And, I attended Ballet West's program of dances from the repertoire of the Ballet Russe, the company formed by Diagelev in Paris, where he fled after the Russian Revolution.  The stage sets were designed by Matisse and the music was by Prokofiev, other emigres.  

No comments: