Monday, December 25, 2023

Mardi Gras!

Mike and I enjoy collaborating on parties.  On February 26, 2023, we hosted a Mardi Gras party at Mike's home.  I brought a tri-color wig (purple, green, and gold, the Mardi Gras colors), a Mardi Gras print apron, and table decorations, as well as a few Mardi Gras delicacies.

I found a bolt of purple crushed velvet at a fabric store and I bought all eight yards on the bolt, for tablecloths for three tables.  They looked beautiful with shiny gold, purple and green table runners and mask-patterned paper plates and napkins.

When I arrived at Mike's house with my shrimp remoulade and king's cake, Mike was stirring his gumbo and jambalaya.  "I've been cooking since 11 a.m this morning, and Heidi's been washing dishes, steadily, as I've cooked,"  he said.  I love ethnic cooking, but it does take time!  
We had 22 family members as guests.  Heidi tried Camille's charcuterie board an Mike's watermelon and strawberry mocktails, as she welcomed Jono.
Dave came directly from Church.  As a bishop, he often has meetings lasting into the afternoon.  He had time to talk with Steve.

Bryce brought a friend, Paul, from BYU, and they played ping pong in Mike's ample basement.
Jenny brought her three boys, although Jonny was out of town.  Jenny's big boys, like Sam, played ping pong, while the little ones played in Mike's "bouncy house," set up in one of the basement rooms.  After dinner, we watched YouTube videos in Mike's theater about Mardi Gras.  The children were vague about what Mardi Gras was, so it was fun for them to see videos of the parade and people wearing Mardi Gras costumes.  I sat net to Camille's Sophie, who remembered visiting the Mardi Gras Museum when she was in New Orleans.





 

No comments: