Saturday, July 23, 2022
Behind the Scenes
I usually document my Sunday dinners with a few quick iPhone photos of the buffet table, a plate of food, and a couple of table shots of people eating. As cook and hostess, that's all I can manage. On June 5, 2022, I handed my camera to my grandson, Michael K, and asked him to take lots of photos of the things I usually miss. Michael's baby, Lily, features prominently in Michael K's shots, as does Eliza, Spencer and Naomi's toddler.
Stairs are irresistible to little kids.
Lily's mother, Rebekah, brought Lily and Eliza safely down.
By the time my guests arrive, I am usually so frazzled that I can't taste the food. My guests assure me it is very good.
Spencer is my expert at the RocBox, an expensive pizza oven that turns out great naan and pita bread. This Sunday's dinner was Greek, so Spencer baked pita bread and slathered the baked pieces with melted butter.
Carol Garza lives across the street and is a beloved fixture at our Sunday dinners. "We're having pork," I tell Carol, to entice her to join us.
Naomi and Rebeka are both good cooks, and I grab them to help as soon as they walk in the door. Naomi is also a talented flower designer.
My collection of dolls from foreign lands is finally getting good use. My granddaughters and great-granddaughters pull the dolls from their cabinet as soon as they arrive!
Audrey is sometimes shy and quiet at my house, but Heidi says she is in non-stop motion at home. Audrey doesn't want to go to bed even when she's dead tired. "I know where that trait comes from!" Heidi laughs. Mike and I both fill our days full to overflowing and are loth to quit what we're doing to go to bed.
Calder Burke is a new guest at our dinners.
Right before the prayer, I tell everyone what they're eating. It is not always obvious!
This week's dinner included chicken shashlik, lemon rice, hummus with homemade pita bread, grilled vegetables, Greek salad, and baklava with apricot ice cream for dessert.
It was a treat to have Jono and Sarah Ebert, Camille's children, join us, even though Camille and Steve are still in Boston.
Lily was peeled down to her skivvies so she could eat with abandon.
In his photo search, Michael K even explored my garden, and caught the peonies and irises in bloom!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment