Thursday, July 28, 2022

Boston IV: Father's Day , with Homemade Rolls



This photo of Camille reminds me of the photo of my Aunt Sally, below, holding a homemade pie.  Aunt Sally was the ultimate cook and hostess, warmly welcoming family, friends, and strangers into her home.  Aunt Sally held her pie, as an offering to her guests, with the same expression of expectation and generosity as Camille held her rolls.  Dave and I were well fed, physically and emotionally, as we celebrated Father's Day with Camille and her family on June 19, 2022.  Some day I'll find the original photo of Aunt Sally, floating around the internet, which shows the whole pie!


 
Steve and Dave were the honored fathers on Father's Day.  We attended church at Camille and Steve's Belmont ward, where we heard talks extolling the wisdom and goodness of fathers.  We congregated in the Ebert home to recognize Steve and Dave.  Except that I didn't capture Dave in any of the photographs of the dinner.  Woops!

As dinner was being prepared, I checked out Camille and Steve's comfortable apartment.  They bought their Boston furniture second hand or heavily discounted, since they planned to use it for just the year they spent in Boston.  Still, their living room was stylish.
They have a stylish dog, as well.  Ollie has the body I want some day--lean and sleek.  He also has my red hair.
Ezra helped prepare dinner, supervised by Ollie.

It was a treat to spend time with Emilie, temporarily home from her business consulting job in Dallas with Oliver Wyman.  Emilie will be back in Boston soon to attend Harvard Business School.
Steve identifies himself to his little nieces and nephews as "The Joker."  He gave me some great "Joker" looks as I snapped his photo.

Mia is entering junior high this fall, and is already a pretty young lady.
Sophia will be a senior at Olympus High School this fall.  All of Camille's daughters are good cooks, and Sophia is an especially good baker.  The Father's Day dessert was a toll house pie, made by the Ebert daughters.
The Eberts' Sacrament Meeting didn't begin until 2 p.m., so I spent the morning overdosing on art.
I made a second visit to the Museum of Fine Arts and spent three hours working my way through the three floors of the new American Wing.  In the basement, there was a stunning collection of prehistoric sculptures and jewelry from Central and South America.  Ever since Dave and I visited Chitzen-Itza and other Mayan ruins many years ago, I have been fascinated with Mayan art and the other prehistoric cultures of Latin America.




The museum even had a collection of the pure gold jewelry and art objects which were prized in early Latin America and which lured the Spanish conquistadores to steal it all.

The Museum of Fine Arts also has a first rate collection of colonial American art, including this painting of Paul Revere by John Copley.


John Copley and other prominent colonial American painters lived in Boston.  This is a painting of John Copley's family.

The museum had many other famous American paintings.  I believe this one was painted by society artist, John Singer Sargent.  It is repeatedly analyzed in art history textbooks.
The top floor of the American Wing included modern paintings from all over the Americas.
I love this sculpture from the 1920s or 1930s.  It looks as if it adorned a grave.

One of my favorite modern American painters is Kehinde Wiley.  He paints young black men, using poses and backgrounds which are "classic" or "heroic," but which aren't usually used with young black men.  He challenges our stereotypes.  The background of this painting looks like wallpaper from a wealthy home.
There has been much brouhaha, lately, over how gender should be categorized and who can use what bathrooms.  Next to the museum bathrooms were posters discussing the position the museum is taking in the controversy.


One restroom was designated for "Women (self-identified)" and the other for everyone else!

No comments: