Right now Dave's and my granite headstone is a big joke. Dave bought a plot that had been "foreclosed on" because the owner hadn't used it within 60 years of purchasing it. It is in a prime spot in the old section of the Salt Lake City Cemetery, a stone's throw from the grave of Porter Rockwell, Joseph Smith's pugnacious bodyguard. Porter Rockwell denied shooting the infamous Missouri governor, Lionel Boggs, who signed an extermination order against the Mormons in 1838. Boggs was shot in an attempted assassination, but survived. Porter Rockwell retorted, "If I'd of shot him, he'd of been dead." Great company for Dave and me as we await the Resurrection.
On Memorial Day, May 30, 2022, Dave and I took the ugliest chrysanthemum we could find to decorate our grave, and then shed a (fake) tear at the thought of our demise. It might not be such a big joke some day.

We then placed flowers on the graves of Grant and Rose Calder, just a few hundred yards away. I have met so many people, since my parents died, who love them.



No comments:
Post a Comment