Saturday, July 23, 2022

Heidi's Feast

Heidi invited Dave and me to supper at Mike's and her house on June 7, 2022.  Dave and I never take for granted the luxury of having a child’s family invite us to an event.   Heidi is particularly thoughtful with invitations and thank you notes, and she is also a great cook.  

As soon as we entered Mike and Heidi's house, we could smell something wonderfully meaty and spicy.  It was a Moroccan dish, cooked in a tagine—beef stewed with spices and dried prunes and apricots.  Heidi added Dave’s favorite vegetable, brussels sprouts, as well as fruit, a mango smoothie, and cheesecake with mango glaze for dessert.  I pointed out to Mike that Heidi is a wonderful cook, and that she supports his interests.  “If Heidi weren’t married to you, I doubt she’d be cooking Moroccan stew in a tagine,” I commented.

We loved sharing in the love and happiness of Mike and Heidi's family.  
Calder Burke is robust.  "I'm glad he's not one of those babies who looks like he'd just blow away," Heidi said.  Calder definitely looks like he'll stay earthbound.  He is adorable, and I am excited to get to know him better.
It was a treat just to talk and eat and laugh.

There was lots to talk about.  As we parked by Mike's garage, we saw the heavy equipment which is being used for landscaping Mike's and Heidi's backyard.  Mike and Heidi own an acre of land, much of it on the hillside behind their house.  

They hired the same landscaper I did, Kim Eden, and the front yard has been beautiful all spring, with the 750 bulbs that Kim recommended Mike plant last fall.


We also talked about the Ukraine War, which Mike and Heidi support with a Ukrainian flag draped over their doorway.

After dinner, we inspected the new treasures in Mike and Heidi's treasure-filled basement.  Mike demonstrated the melodic qualities of a brass bowl he bought on his recent trip to Nepal.
Audrey wore the wooly hat Mike brought back from Uzbekistan.


Mike is assembling an Asian mask collection.  The items Mike has already collected are elegant and exotic, and we know there will be more and more and more!

No comments: