Sunday, September 1, 2024

Barbecue at Mike's (7.4.24)

Mike sets goals and reaches them.  He ate barbecue at one of America's great barbecue joints--Franklin's near Austin.  Mike and Heidi had to wait in line all morning to buy the good stuff, but it was worth it.  Mike then set the goal of cooking really good barbecue himself.  On July 4, 2024, Mike treated the family members who were in town--Mike's family, Camille and Steve, and Dave and me--to barbecue on Heidi's and his porch.  
Mike's new Traeger grill made it happen--but only with Mike's added skill.  Dave and I bought a Traeger grill but could never produce the tender, smoky-tasting brisket, sausages, and chicken that Mike regularly produces.  But I am used to that. Mike has always taken phenomenal photographs, so much better than mine, even though I have the same camera Mike had when he was taking all those great photographs.  He's now doing the same thing with his Traeger grill.

Audrey wore to dinner all her treasures from the Sandy City Fourth of July Festival, which Mike's family attended earlier in the day.  Audrey made and decorated a hat, a necklace, and a purse made of a folded paper plate.  She was elegant in her new outfit.
Sandy City's celebration was written up in the newspapers as one of the best n the valley.
Calder and Audrey both loved the watermelon at dinner.  Mike is a gardener, as I am, and a bouquet from his garden adorned the holiday table.

No comments: