Sunday, September 15, 2024

Women for Kamala Harris (8.15.24)

On August 15, 2024, Jenny's sister, Tori Horton, organized and moderated a Zoom call for Utah women supporting Kamala Harris, U.S. presidential candidate.  Tori generously invited me to be one of the twenty or so Utah women stating, very briefly, why we supported Kamala.  Gwen Walz, wife of Tim Walz, the U.S. vice presidential candidate, was the keynote speaker, and I was very impressed with her personal stories and her plea to support the Democratic ticket.  Jenny Wilson, mayor of Salt Lake County, and Erin Mendenhall, mayor of Salt Lake City, also participated.  More than 500 women joined the call.  During the 90 minute Zoom meeting, Kamala's supporters raised $53,000 for her campaign.
It was inspiring to watch Tori moderate the call with poise and charm, as speakers and guests joined from all over the country.  I joined the call from a motel in Whitehorse, in the Yukon of Canada!  
My "why" for supporting Kamala was that, even more important than Kamala's specific policies, I admired her integrity.  I have been appalled by Donald Trump's lies and criminality.  Good government must be built upon a foundation of leaders who tell the truth and have a sense of decency and civility.
 

No comments: