Sunday, September 15, 2024

Bobotie and More (8.4.24)

I tell my family that the reason I have ethnic dinners every Sunday is to entice my grandchildren to visit me.  On August 4, 2024, we gathered for a South African dinner, "just because."  Mia and Ezra were there, to taste whatever strange things their grandma had cooked up.
Jonny arrived with his boys.  I wore my African apron, bought in a West African bazaar.
Audrey runs so fast all day that she sometimes falls asleep in the car on the way to Sunday dinner.  When she awakes, she is ready to begin eating and running again!
I decorated my tables with the bright African fabric that I love.
I set out my collection of African carved animals--a hippo, a herd of giraffes, and three cheetahs. You can buy just about anything on Etsy.
The entree was "bobotie," which my cookbook said was the most common Sunday entree across South Africa.  It was spiced beef covered with custard topping and served with yellow rice flavored with turmeric and raisins.  South Africa has a mix of cultures, with many East Indians, as well as Dutch, English, blacks, and Malays.  I could taste India in the bobotie.  We had a South African milk tart for dessert.
I remember visiting South Africa when I was a young teenager.  My family especially loved Kruger National Park, with its herds of wild animals--zebras, rhinos, wildebeest, impala, elephants--and its cats--lions and cheetahs.  I hope to return, and I hope my grandchildren can visit South Africa, as well.  


No comments: